Elgin, IL
Kimberli specializes in newborn, child & family photography in Elgin, Illinois and the surrounding suburbs of Chicago. Call 630.709.2559 or email photographybykimberli@gmail.com for more information on your custom portrait session.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My evolution as a photographer continues...

Although I've always had a love of taking snapshots, it wasn't until I had Bug that I really became a shutterbug. We had planned on buying our first digital camera that Christmas (when she was due), but when she came early and we learned she'd be staying in the hospital without us, Russ decided to run out and buy me a camera early. So, he ran to Target and picked out a Canon Point & Shoot. I think it was an A85. That camera did us pretty well... I carried it everywhere I went, amassing an amazing several thousand snapshots of my baby girl. It wasn't until she was a year and a half and I dropped it while chasing her, that we needed a new camera. So, again, we bought a Canon Point & Shoot... an A530. I didn't love it as much as my first digital camera, but it worked.

So, when we had Lou, I realized I wanted to do more with my pictures. Learn more of my camera. Russ said I could take the plunge and purchase a DSLR...my Canon Rebel XT. By this point, I had an external hard drive holding 12,000 pictures of my girls.... and that was only the beginning. In the past 15 months, I've made photography more than just a hobby. I've learned to take more than just snapshots of my girls...

I look at the pictures I took of bug, and I think, "If only I'd known what I was doing behind the lens of the camera." I look at the pictures of Lou and think, "Man... I knew nothing about composition or lighting." But, now, with my studio experience and mostly, with my Bella experience, I am happy to know that the photos I take of our next baby will be so much better.

And lucky for me (and 1 really excited - and 1 reluctant and unsure - big sister), I'll be able to put that theory to the test soon. May, to be exact. That's right... #3 is on the way.

Sorry to Mara or mom or anyone else who would've heard it from Bug this weekend (she's been making the announcements so far)... I couldn't wait any longer to break the news!!!!!!

1 comment: